Book Review: "Fear the Flames" by Olivia Darling

“Fear the Flames” by Olivia Darling was everything I had heard about it and more! Since falling down the dragon hoard hole, I’ve been devouring any and all dragon books I could get my hands on. Many were good but I was still missing my next dragon read that would give me the same high that the Empyrean series did. Enter “Fear the Flames.”



This book had it all - an exiled princess seeking revenge against her cruel childhood abusers, a dragon heist, a steamy romance with banter that had me laughing out loud, and found family that was pulling on heartstrings. 


The relationships in the book were expertly crafted. I loved that Elowen had a platonic best friend who supported her through every step of her journey. Her friendships with Ryder and Saskia are fundamental to her after having been alone both during her imprisonment and after as she forged a name for herself in her new kingdom. And then there’s Cayden - our morally gray MMC. He’s possessive, commanding, and has some beef with Elowen - so there’s this love/hate aspect of their romance, even though she’s really given no precedent for why there’s strife between them. But the banter! Elowen and Cayden’s quick-witted, snarky banter made the book!


And then Elowen herself was the cherry on top. I absolutely love and connect with books in which - despite trauma and abuse - the female main character is a badass bitch who lets nothing and no one get in her way of righting those who have wronged her along her journey. Elowen is strong, lethal, and every bit the queen her birth right ensures her to be.


I devoured this book in one sitting - I absolutely LOVED it! I am so excited for the sequel and can’t wait to see where it takes Elowen and her dragons.


No comments